Senior Maoist leader Thippiri Tirupathi, alias Devji, 65, surrendered before Telangana police on
February 22 along with his associates, months after he became general secretary following
Basavaraju’s encounter.
Devji, a resident of Jagtial district in Telangana, served as the general secretary and a politburo member of the outlawed Maoist organisation. Authorities considered him the top leader in the group at present.
Chhattisgarh alone announced a reward of nearly Rs 1.5 crore on him.
The organisation elevated Devji to the post of general secretary after security forces killed Basavaraju in an encounter. Along with Devji, Maoist leader Malla Raji Reddy and several cadres of
CPI-Maoist also laid down arms.
Chhattisgarh Home Minister Vijay Sharma said security forces continue the Karregutta operation and have recovered 89 improvised explosive devices so far from the Karregutta hills. He added that authorities have offered the remaining Maoists a final opportunity to return to the mainstream.
On February 17, security forces led by the CRPF launched the KGH 2 operation in the Karregutta hills. Police teams have been searching for around 300 Maoists, including senior leaders Misir Besra, alias Bhaskar; Ramanna, alias Ganapati, alias Laxman Rao; and Raji Reddy.
Sharma said the campaign marked a significant breakthrough and added that authorities have opened communication with other remaining leaders. He stated that the government aims to eliminate
Naxalism by March 31.
Bastar Inspector General Sundarraj P addressed reports of senior Maoists surrendering in neighbouring states. He said only the concerned agencies or state authorities can officially confirm such developments as per protocol.
He added that the Maoist organisation continues to weaken and that its cadres face limited options apart from renouncing violence and returning to society. He urged the leadership and cadres to acknowledge the ground situation and choose peace. He also warned that those who ignore this message will face necessary consequences.
According to security inputs, around 200 armed Maoists remain scattered across different parts of Bastar. Authorities have dismantled the Maharashtra-Madhya Pradesh-Chhattisgarh zone. Forces have also cleared most Maoist presence from North Bastar and the Maad division.
Sources said Paparao and his associates have taken shelter in separate groups in the forests of South Bastar, while Misir Besra currently operates from Jharkhand.
Devji’s journey in the so-called Maoist movement began during his student days. In 1982, while studying intermediate in Korutla in the Jagtial district, he gravitated towards the Radical Students Union. A year later, in 1983, he joined the CPI-ML People’s War Group and steadily rose through the ranks to become one of the organisation’s most senior leaders before his surrender.
Written by
Shomen Chandra